Parent Child Division
Sunday - August 24th, 2014 | 8am
January 1st, 2015
Parent Child -
The Parent Child division was designed to encourage family participation
and allow children under 15 to participate with some
assistance. Parent and child complete the same route as the Co-Ed
and Women-Only Sprint participants but will go out in the last wave of
the weekend - after the final Women-Only Sprint wave. Parent and child
will go out together and are required to participate with each other throughout
the event. New in 2012 we will allow one parent to participate with 2 children.
- Participating in this division prohibits your finishing time to be considered toward national rankings for USA Triathlon. For an explanation of this policy please review the rule at USA Triathlon.
- Your child's time will be posted with the official Santa Barbara Triathlon results in alpha order, not finishing time order. Parent names are not included in the results listings. No Finisher Plaques will be presented.
- Each child participating receives a Finisher Medal.
- If you or your child wishes to participate for an age group plaque, then this division is NOT for you.
As a parent, please use due care during the event. See recommendations below.
- Parents should swim on the outside of the group so that children are less likely to get bumped into.
- Be aware of other smaller people on the bicycle course - their line of travel can be unpredictable - use caution and communicate prior to passing.
- Make sure you and your child focus on the event and other participants around you.
500 yard Swim: Quick and easy, the ocean swim parallels the beach. The average water temperature is 64 degrees. Wetsuits are optional and parents may assist children in getting out of them.
6 Mile Bike
The course is very fast and nearly flat (with the exception of one decent-sized hill near the Four Seasons Biltmore). Carry the water you need, as this out-and-back course goes so quickly there's no time for a water station.
Obey all traffic laws - this is an open course. Please note that event volunteers are not able to disrupt or instruct the flow of traffic. Do not take instruction regarding your right-of-way from anyone other than a City Police officer or California Highway Patrol officer.
2 Mile Run: One mile out, one mile back - it's that simple. Water is available at mile one.
The Parent Child Sprint transition area will be separately designated in the transition area by signs on the ends of the bike racks.
The transition area opens at 5:30 AM and Parent Child athletes should plan on setting up their transition area by the anticipated start time of the Women-Only event since they will go out shortly thereafter. See our Schedule for anticipated start time.